1. Asian-American success is typically taken to ratify the American Dream and to prove that minorities can make it in this country without handouts.
2. Earlier this year, the publication of Amy Chua’s Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother incited a collective airing out of many varieties of race-based hysteria.
3. There are no set-asides for the underprivileged or, conversely, for alumni or other privileged groups. There is no formula to encourage “diversity” or any nebulous concept of “well-roundedness” or “character.”
4. You could frame it, as some aggrieved Asian-Americans do, as a simple issue of equality and press for race-blind quantitative admissions standards. In 2006, a decade after California passed a voter initiative outlawing any racial engineering at the public universities, Asians composed 46 percent of UC-Berkeley’s entering class
你可以把它说成是一个简单的平等问题，并强烈要求入学标准不许在录取数?#21487;?#26377;种族 歧视。2000年，也就是在加利福尼亚通过选民的提议宣布在公立大学内任何根据种族 背景耍弄花招的行为为非法的十年后，加州大学伯克利?#20013;?#30340;?#24459;?#20013;亚裔占到了46%.
5. Before having heard from Mao, I had considered myself at worst lightly singed by the last embers of Asian alienation. Indeed, given all the incredibly hip Asian artists and fashion designers and so forth you can find in New York, it seemed that this feeling was destined to die out altogether.
6.When Miss Emily Grierson died, our whole town went to her funeral: the men through a sort of respectful affection for a fallen monument, the women mostly out of curiosity to see the inside of her house, which no one save an old manservant---c combined gardener and cook--had seen in at least ten years.
7. And now Emily had gone to join the representatives of those august names where they lay in the cedar-bemused cemetery among the ranked and anonymous graves of Union and confederate soldiers who fell at the battle of Jefferson.
8. Alive, Miss Emily had been seen a tradition, a duty and a care; s sort of hereditary obligation upon the town......
9. They were admitted by the old Negro into a dim hall from which a stairway mounted into still more shadow.
10. ......and when they sat down, a faint dust rose sluggishly about their thighs, spinning with slow motes in the single sunray. ......