1. The overall result has been to make entrance to professional geological journals harder for a mateurs, a result that has been reinforced by the widespread introduction of refereeing, first by national journals in the 19th century and then by several local geological journals in the 20th century.
2. A rather similar process of differentiation has led to professional geologists coming together nationally within one or two specific societies, whereas the amateurs have tended either to remain in local societies or to come together nationally in a different way.www.ExamW.CoM
3. Sad to say, this project has turned out to be mostly low--level findings about factual errors and spelling and grammar mistakes, combined with lots of head--scratching puzzlement about what in the world those readers really want.
4. I believe that the most important forces behind the massive M&M wave are the same that underlie the globalization process: falling transportation and communication costs, lower trade and investment barriers and enlarged markets that require enlarged operations capable of meeting customers' demands.
5. A lateral move that hurt my pride and blocked my professional progress promoted me to abandon my relatively high profile career although, in the manner of a disgraced government minister, I covered my exit by claiming "I wanted to spend more time with my family."
[参考译文] 一次侧面的?#36824;?#26126;磊落的攻击伤害了?#19994;?#33258;尊，阻碍了我事业的发展，使?#20063;?#24471;不抛弃?#22235;?#20221;引人注?#24247;?#24037;作，尽管表面上?#19968;?#35201;以一个蒙受屈辱的政府部长的姿态，通过声称"我只不过是想多和家人呆在一起" 来掩盖?#19994;?#36864;出。
6. I have discovered, as perhaps Kelsey will after her much-publicized resignation from the editorship of She after a build-up of stress, that abandoning the doctrine of "juggling your life", and making the alternative move into "downshifting brings with it far greater rewards than financial success and social status.
[参考译文] 或许正像凯尔西在不堪积劳重负而公开地辞去她在《她》?#21448;?#31038;的编辑 一职之后一样，我已经发现，放弃那种"为生活忙碌"的人生信条并转而追求比较悠闲的生活带给你的回报远远大于经济成功和社会地位。
7. While in America the trend started as a reaction to the economic decline-after the mass redundancies caused by downsizing in the late ' 0s-and is still linked to the politics of thrift, in Britain, at least among the middle-class down shifters of my acquaintance, we have different reasons for seeking to simplify our lives.
[参考译文] 在美国，这一返朴趋势是以经济衰落的?#20174;?#20026;开始的--那是在0年 代末期裁员而引起大?#24247;?#22833;业之后一一现在依然与提倡节俭的政纲相：关;而在英国，最起码在我所熟识的中产阶级返朴归隐者中，追求简约; 生活的原因就多种多样了